Stratis 2.4.0 Release Notes2021-04-21
mulhern, Stratis Team
Stratis 2.4.0 includes two major user-visible changes:
- All the functionality required to boot from a Stratis-managed root filesystem. See the prior post Stratis filesystems as the root filesystem for a more detailed discussion.
- An enhancement to existing encryption support that allows the user to create a pool with encryption managed either by the kernel keyring or Clevis, and to subsequently bind an already encrypted pool using either mechanism. Previously, the user could create an encrypted pool using the kernel keyring only, and could bind or unbind using Clevis only.
More minor user-visible changes are:
- An enhancment to the FetchProperties D-Bus interface in order to disclose more information about sets of encrypted devices.
engine_state_reportkey in the report interface has been stabilized and is guaranteed to be supported in future releases.
- A new executable,
stratis-predict-usageto predict free space on a newly created pool is distributed with stratisd.
This release of Stratis also includes a number of significant but less visible changes:
- Support for multi-threading in stratisd. The new multi-threading implementation replaces the prior event-loop implementation. See the prior post Multi-threading Support in stratisd for a detailed discussion.
- The management of Stratis filesystem symlinks has been simplified. Determining the filesystem and pool name that comprise the symlink path no longer requires communication with stratisd over the D-Bus; it is now accomplished via standard udev-based mechanisms.
- stratisd now emits a log message at the info level in connection with every mutating D-Bus method call that it completes without an error.
The support for migrating symlinks introduced in Stratis 2.2.0 is no longer included in this release.
The ongoing and perpetual but entirely routine work of improvements to individual log and error messages continues.
We would like to thank our external contributor carzacc for continued work on bash tab-completion.